Thursday, October 11, 2007

Education Anxiety

Okay...I have been pretty chilled about this whole lifestyle of learning/relaxed homeschooling/delight-led education thing...but now as the ominous exemption looms in my mind I am getting a wee twitch.

I know I can write an eduspeak-schooly exemption with my eyes shut and hands tied behind my back...however I am struggling to get my hed around how to put in words what we do so it actually sounds like, well, education.

Whenever O5 is asked THE question... his reply is

"I go to Homeschool...I just play all day."

Well I'm very glad that learning seems like playing to him...but hmmm.

So in an attempt to make myself feel better here is what learning we have done today, before lunch even...

O changed the date on the brand new magnetic calendar on the fridge and then learnt how to look for the same date on the other calendar - Maths.

O narrated back the penultimate chapter of Charlotte's Web at the breakfast table - Oral languge and Reading Comprehension.

O helped clear the table, cleaned the toilets and made his bed - Perseverance and diligence.

O read Tintin for an hour - Reading -at 3 years abve his chronological age...not that it really matters but it makes me feel better!

When helping bring in the dry washing the rack fell and hit O on the head and he exclaimed "Ow!" followed closely by, "That hurt my head because heavy objects fall faster than light objects." - Physics.

After lunch...
We will continue to work on the Castle we are making together and O will try to make the catapault independently - Technology, History, Physics.

I will read aloud to the children for an hour and O will also read aloud to the little ones - Reading, Oral Language.

We will make dinner together - Food Technology.

I'm sure there will be much more that I haven't thought of/planned yet.

So how do I put all this in a way that the
powers-that-be will "get"???

5 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Hehehe...I get this. I get a wee bit anxy that what we do is nothing like what I wrote in the exemption & I'll be forced to defend my position when reviewed...eek! You'll do FINE though!!

skatey katie said...

I know I can write an eduspeak-schooly exemption with my eyes shut and hands tied behind my back...

we just turned a non-edu-speak one into The Edu Speak One.
and now we just place The Next Kid's Name into the *field* of the last kid's lol.

thank goodness we only have one to go..... X

Setiuz Mama said...

Haha! Do you know how many people my parents refer my way when it comes to doing an exemption????? I personally find the things rather tedious....I mean....honestly how do you really know what you will be doing for the rest of the year.....and if you write your 'intended' learning, as any good "teacher" knows, flexiblity is very important in Education. Love to see what you write.... Have a Fab!! Weekend!
xxx

SuperOma said...

And cos O5 isn't tied up 9-3 daily he can go to Opa's where he's addicted to 'The Incredible Machine' (engineering, physics, geometry and IT), plays soccer and cricket (sport and PE) and comes home speaking Dutch (language skills, geography). Tie your hands, shut your eyes and you'll write up something they'll love - and at review O5 will be the proof of the pudding. Life is learning. You're brilliant!!

Hay said...

Well I think from your post you have absolutely nothing to worry about. When I was doing my girls ones someone said that I should expect them to want more information because they almost always do nowadays, which worried me a little as
a) Being the forward planner I am I was writing it the week before school started back and
b) I have no teaching experience/qualifications.
But I just wrote what I felt, and gave them everything they asked for, (plus a little more lol), and it went through no problems. So worry not. I still have mine on hard drive...for the next time lol...so if you feel like having a look let me know and I can email you it. Goodluck, you'll fly through, Hay.