Monday, April 23, 2007

Holland




We once were travellers...back when we were recently married, had two incomes and no kiddos in tow. Now I have to live vicariously through my memories and my future dreams to once again roam.

We were fortunate to be able to travel through Holland with my parents as part of a large overseas trip. This as very special to me as I had always wanted to experience some of my Dutch Heritage.

I have chosen just a few photos to show you how beautiful it was in Holland in the winter.

Amsterdam at night...we LOVED Amsterdam..despite what you hear about the drugs and the Red Light district it really is a very picturesque city and we felt completely safe walking at night to get an icecream or some pancakes or just to wander around the vibrant streets. That is J and I walking ahead of the photographer (Thanks JEB!)


The view from the window of our hotel...I do love canal houses...charming and crooked, narrow because the buildings were taxed on their frontage...with the hooks and pulleys to haul furniture into the higher storeys.

Wherever I go I HAVE to visit art Galleries...much to J's horror. And when you have the chance to see Rembrandts Nightwatch in all its glory at the Rijksmuseum you don't pass it up! We traveled up to Friesland to stay with relatives and awoke the next morning to an amazing snowy scene. Breathtaking!

One of my dreams is to one day take our children to see where their Opa was born and to travel by bicycle and canal boat through Northern Holland...lotto ticket anyone?

6 comments:

Setiuz Mama said...

Hoi! My Dutch Friend....
Loving those pics.... Brings back memories of my trip there in 2000...yes...no children AND no husband at that point.
We too would love to take our children to see some of their heritage along with Samoa.... If you win that Lotto draw with the ticket you never buy...let me know! :-)
Doei!

Opa said...

Was a good call travelling when you were young and free (and cashed up). The chance will come again but nice have the memories in the meantime.

(This is really SuperOma but the blog site can't work out there is two of us on this computer - even though we have different names and email addresses. Not sure which is the smartest - it or us - but it seems to be winning, and it's two against one!!)

skatey katie said...

karen the traveller
oh yes. hubby and i have all sorts of lotto dreams too.
now we just have to buy the tickets....

super oma/opa
if you have two (or more) blogger accounts, just *sign in* at the blogger dashboard with your username *before* you comment here. otherwise blogger automatically defers to the account-user who most recently signed in.
or maybe it was just a blogger glitch this time...
hope that helps X

Jen and family said...

My brother in law is a New Zealander his parents are dutch. His Mum is a wonderful lady. Oma has "adopted" me and the kids as her own.

Was your mother a New Zealander and how did they met? Im nosy A. I like reading stories like this.

It would be awesome to take your kids and show then where your dad grew up one day :)
Jen at http://jenz.wordpress.com/

Sharonnz said...

Gasp...gorgeous pics, Karen! I'd do the art galleries with you, lol.

Rach said...

THat doesn't help the wanderlust in me! Gorgeous pics, and great memories eh.