Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Hush-A-Bye


Awww. Isn't he just gorgeous?

I was busily cooking dinner one evening a few weeks back and Bubba E was having an absolute ball jumping in the Jolly Jumper (whoever invented that thing deserves a medal from mothers everywhere). I noticed the springing, churckling and occasional thump had stopped so I had a wee look and found one very fast asleep, and uber-cute baby.

I must say that I am so thankful every day that J was able to be convinced to go there again after the terrible twosome...although at 3am I am not quite so ecstatic about having a wee one!

We are really enjoying E. With O we were typical first time parents...overanxious, overzealous and quite a few more "overs". We had just got our heads around this parenting lark when lo and behold we heard the words, "And just how many babies are in there?" at our twenty week ultrasound and just like that we were joining the ranks of parents of multiples.

I had purposed to be a lot more responsive and flexible when we planned no 2...I even thought I *might* use a sling...now and then...but the reality of two and three arriving within three minutes of one another made our lives chaotic, exhausting and quite frankly hellish for a number of months. I grieved a bit for the lost opportunity to really nurture a baby, as with A and C we were in pure survival mode.

We decided that since we had three why not add a fourth baby to our family... and so along came our precious boy E. He has been the most contented and relaxed baby, happy and calm, jubbly and spunky. The older children all adore him, even A who is mummy's princess will usually willingly share my lap with Bubba. I carry E most places... not in a sling, but an ergo...gotta love it. He is my only baby still breastfed at 9 months old, we don't stress out if he doesn't want to nap at "the right time" during the day and we all look after him together.

This is all a bit of a rambly mess...I am typing as I shovel veges into E's mouth.

5 comments:

Setiuz Mama said...

What a cutie! Aren't these little ones precious. I so relate to your bit about 1st child....I look at mine at times and wonder if I've made him a bit neurotic and perfectionist with all my 'overs'. Am so much more relaxed with #2!! It does make life so much easier for oneself. Our little one slept in our bed last night....I would NEVER have done that with #1 for fear of him getting the idea that mummy and daddy's bed was more fun than his own.
Parenting is such a HUGE learning curve isn't it?!?!

Sharonnz said...

I sometimes feel a bit sorry for our 1st "practice child", remembering the intensity of the parenting. But ya know, she's turning out darn pretty cool. Your enjoyment of Mr E is so apparent in this post...jubbly!

Mike said...

That's a funny image. Love it. My 4-year old once fell asleep while eating, with a spoon in his mouth.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Jen and family said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he is sooooo cute
pleased your enjoying him
jen at http://jenz.wordpress.com/

Jennifer said...

I showed my husband your blog and he saw this picture and joked, "People are hanging their children!?" He's a goof! That is a very sweet picture! I am really never than lucky.