Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

So yesterday was Mother's Day.

I have a bit of an issue with market-driven, spendy-spendy, pseudo holidays and celebrations but when you get treated like a Queen princiles tend to get put aside...for just a moment.

After feeding Baby E at his usual 5am I was instructed to stay in bed, no matter what noises emanated from the other end of the house...so being a very dutiful and submissive wife I did just that.

J bought in the morning paper which I read in almost all of its entirety rather than snatching tidbits here and there and then wiping porridge spills from the lifestyle section later in the day.

J also bought me in some waffles with banana, maple syrup and icecream...mmmmm....waffles!

The kids were suspiciously quiet, but then they all bounded in holding lovingly drawn pictures. O5 drew a picture of the family watching Berenstains Bears and Daddy fixing the TV cord (What the????). C2 had an amzing Pollockesque picture of some animals and A2's masterpiece was untitled. O also gave me a wonderful gifty from everyone...Little House on the Prairie to add to my collection and Little Women.

I believe that my career as a Mother is so much more valuable and important than anything else I could do. I was really encouraged a couple of weeks agao when a dear inspiring woman shared about her complete assurance that her primary purpose, ministry and mission was to raise her children. Me too! It was so exciting to hear somebody else confidently articulate that, unashamedly in today's society when Motherhood is denigrated and seen as a temporary endurance until you "get your life back"

I love being a Mother...most of the time... and on my "bad Mummy" days I am invaribly encouraged by my fantastic hubby that our children are in the best place being home with me, learning through life and love, joy and sorrow, triumphs and failings.

I am exhausted much of the time, I have huge self-doubt and worry about how well I am doing, I raise my voice too often and I am guilty of feeding everybody baked beans on toast reasonably frequently. Yet, I love my children with a passion, I am learning from my mistakes and I daily I am rewarded with new victories and growth in my own life and those of the fabulous foursome.

I am thankful for small things...some lavender treats from my lovely second mum...given to let me know that she believes in me and the job I am doing with my family or a timely phonecall from my sister who calmly and gently reminds and encourages me that one day I will realise that noone has peed on the floor for a week or two.

Right now my Baby is napping, O5 is reading Tintin out loud and with amazing expression(skiting, proud mummy here...Did I mention O is not yet five and a half?), and A and C are playing quietly and peacefullywith the toy cars...ahhhh...I take hold of this scene and commit it to memory for the next time that it all turns pearshaped.

7 comments:

Jen and family said...

Happy Mothers Day oacemama
sounds like you had a nice morning
Jen at http://jenz.wordpress.com/

Jennifer said...

Boy you summed it up so perfectly. I feel the same in many respects and I feel sometimes I give the kids pancakes too often or yell at them too much. Then I think am I messing them up because of that? But when they do those things, the handmade cards and the cuddles and the kisses, you know you're doing things well.

SuperOma said...

The Fab Four will never have too much of a bad thing in your home. There will always be soooooo much good stuff. You're a Star! And hey, the enduring result of too many baked beans - a lot of hot air!!

PS: Glad you had a great day. I was soooo rapt with my pressie box. Ta heaps. XX

Setiuz Mama said...

You're a champion!
You're a Mum with a passion for her whanau and THAT is one of THE most important things for being a FAB Mum.

"...... Shared about her complete assurance that her primary purpose, ministry and mission was to raise her children.........."

I like this statement.....
When I have a rushed week where i'm too busy attending to the rest of the world and wonder why my little family are having issues....my hubby reminds me that being a Mum and Wife ARE ENOUGH and important beyond all else.

Look forward to seeing you guys on Friday!!!

Sharonnz said...

Lovely post, babe! Eloquently put. Very jealous about Little House. I have to keep borrowing M7's friend's copy, lol.

Rosie said...

Well said! My hubby has to remind me this, now and again too......when it all gets too much! You are a wonderful Mum and your Fab Four are so blessed to have you for their Mum....one who's willing to learn and grow along the way:-)

We have loved the Little House Series, E10 just got the final Season for her 10th birthday, so we have new ones to watch - yippee!

MamaMonk said...

what a beautiful post and needed reminder that the dailyness of what we are doing, as mothers, matters HUGE.

I hope you have lots more such days.