Saturday, May 24, 2008

Random Thoughts

Long time...no blog...been doing lots of thinking and lots of living...and finally walking straight again...no more labyrinthitis!

Been reading too...
Finally caught up with the cool kids and read Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis...so much to read aloud to J that I ended up just giving him the entire book.
Read, enjopyed and passed Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma to my Dad to peruse and tracked down In Defence of Food at the local library...just starting that one.
Read the latest NZ Gardener mag from cover to cover...must actually subscribe!

Decided to take a leaf out of Sandra's book (or blog!) and try and get into my garden every day...even for a few minutes. This week I have weeded the front flower gardens and the whole vege patch (which aint that much...yet), supervised the installation of my new to me glasshouse giufted by my lovely brother, discovered we have orchids sitting next to the house still in a polybag, dug out more of the never ending oxalis, rescued countless brassicas from E21months attempts to help me weed and deadheaded the one lonely rosebush of its one lonely wilted rose.

Spent more time contemplating just what is truly necessary or will drive me absolutely batty if it doesn't get done on the house renovation. My list of wants is getting pared down very quickly as I consider the rising costs of day to day living and the ever decreaing $$$ in the savings account.

We are getting the floors polished, have bought two panel heaters for the kids room and for the dining room for the depths of winter, and have purchased paint to do most of the interior...oh the joys of stripping back five layers of old paint!

We will have to reline the shower cubicle and replace the bathroom vanity...but I am keeping the old bath and the old loo cos the are both in pretty good nick and reusing all of the old tapware cos it works great and reminds me of staying at my Oma's as a kid.

J and I have decided to cut back on TV and only turn it on for those shows we really can't live without...y'know like Project Runway and ANTM for me...Boston Legal and Top Gear for both of us and the occasional Sports News for J. Already feeling more refreshed and getting other stuff done...like scraping off old paint!

I have been trying to spend more time one on one with each of the kiddoes...I have played computer Battleships with O, glued and coloured with A, listened to C's imaginary stories and played Thomas Trains with E. I am not naturally a very playful mummy...but I want to build relationship with each of them. Pondering what it means to truly be involved in their lives. Ditto Sharon-my mind twin...even read The Creative Family last month too!

Okay...now my brain is tired...off to read the papaer and then curl up in bed with Michael Pollan and my hot water bottle...well actually, my electric blanket...having a hard time giving it up when the weather turns cooler.

3 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Great to see you bloggin' again!! Oh for a face to face to discuss lots of this stuff!! Dh & I have both loved Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz & Through Painted Deserts - lot of similar Velvet Elvis type stuff. (And I can't give up my blankie either, lol.) Love ya!!

skatey katie said...

hello busy bee,
your world sounds sunny and ever-changing and thoughtful and exciting.
i am reading anthony kiedis' Scar Tissue and loving it so very very much. raw and wild and liberating.

is rob bell that crazy guy on the dvds... the camera keeps jumping all around the show and he's a really zany guy...? or am i thinking someone else. it's in the distant dark of my head.
mwah X

LeighLeigh said...

If you liked Velvet Elvis, try Sex God which is his next book - I really likedit (although a few people I have given it to didn't like it as much - not sure if that was cause they are not a big fan of Rob or the book itself) - I really like Rob....but I am a little outnumbered over here! Kate's comment pretty much sums up the general thought....maybe it's cause I am still so young!! ;)