Friday, July 06, 2007

Teach Your Own

A while ago a friend asked why some of us homeschool...and I've been pondering it ever since and reading what Rach and Sharon have to say about their journeys.

I have been reding John Holt and have been nodding in agreement and inwardly saying "Yes! Yes!" all the way through...so I thought I'd leave you with an excerpt.

Even in supposedly "free" or "alternative" schools, too many people still do what conventional schools have always done. They take children out of and away from the great richness and variety of the world, and in its place give them school subjects, the curriculum. They may jazz it up with chickenbones, Cuisenaire rods, and all sorts of other goodies. But the fact remains that instead of letting children have contact with more and more people, places, tools and experiences, the schools are busy cutting the world up into little bits and giving it to the children according to some expert's theory about what they need or can stand.

What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, roadmaps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get to where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out.

We are loving having O5.5 at home... and out and about in the real world. As we make our big move we are excited about all of the new oportunities our family will have to live and grow together....cos Home Ed is all about the whole family rather than, "Now they are 5 we better start schooling them" approach...life is learning and learning is for life...no matter what your age is!

3 comments:

Setiuz Mama said...

AMEN! I love your succinct way of putting things Karen. I've been pondering about all these things and have even had a little nosy in my book from Teachers College days by Neil Postman (The End of Education - Redefining the Value of School. Wow....that's a deep book for me!!
I am so excited for your up and coming move. It will be a great lifestyle and adventure for your whanau.

Jennifer said...

It's something I am torn with. To homeschool or not. I see things that the kids learn from our neighbors and I shudder to think what else they will learn as the enter elementary school. I think of the interaction they get from school and sunday school that they wouldn't at home. I know they would benefit from both. But would I be good at it? I am not sure. Would I have the patience? I don;t know.

oacemama said...

Hey Lauz...I need to reread some Postamn too methinks!

Jen...I don't know what the laws/rules are where you live...but it doesn't have to be an all or nothing kinda thing...in NZ compulsory schooling doesn't begin til 6 years old ( although most send thier kids at 5) so we have just not sent O to school...and we have found that any fears about "missing out" etc have dissipated. Whatever you decide. about education...be conscious about your decision and you will make the best choices for your family!