Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Horticulture




O6 and I planted some lavender in a small section of our garden. We worked together, talking about why we need to dig a deep hole, water with plant food before planting and carefully press down the soil around the base of the plant. O has his own wheelbarrow and gardening tools. He is excited about his own vege garden and we are planning it together.


As we work we talk about plants, pollination, weeds, watering, harvesting, sunlight, frost and all sorts of other relevant things.


Not a worksheet in sight.


One of the things I love about Home Ed is the way real life and education are one and the same.


3 comments:

Mike said...

I'm not a green thumb; more like a sore thumb. But I try to do some garden work, for the sake of my 4-year old.

"Daddy," he says, "I think you should get the instructions on how to dig. You're not good at this."

Hmp.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

http://www.mikeleonen.com/

skatey katie said...

ab.so.lute.ly. fab.
but where oh where has your mummytummy gone?????
lovin' the new look X

oacemama said...

MIke: Your 4 year old is an absolute riot...we'll be seeeing him on Sat Night Live in a few years eh?

Katie: I love you! I was looking at that very pic thinking I looked rather hefty and than you make such a lovely comment...still not going to put on a 'kini shot though!