Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Getting Thru the Day

Feeling as if I am merely existing, when I really want to LIVE...Today started out as one of those days...a sleepless night looking after a sad baby, burning the porridge and throwing toast at the kiddos instead, not getting the washing on until 10am...pj's on til lunchtime...feeling like a failure yet again.

Picking myself up and making a choice...a choice to cuddle my daughter who just wanted some mama love...to sit on the couch and read Corduroy, the Magic School Bus and Where the Wild Things Are with a child on each knee and one draped around my neck...to feed the two year olds raisins while they sat on the bench watching the 5 year old and me making pikelets for lunch...and then eating said pikelets with icecream and maple syrup (and I didn't even remember it was Shrove Tuesday til a friend reminded me!)...saying yes to a dear friend who invited the five year old for a sleepover and picked him up and helped me hang the washing at 4pm...tickling bubba and snuggling him for a bit longer than I needed to...just cos I could...

This is LIVING...why can't I see it often enough? My first inclination is to measure my success by what I do...Is the house tidy enough? Are the kids faces and t'shirts clean? Have we achieved everything on mama's to-do list?

My dear friend reminded me again that I want to create rich memories in my children's hearts...they won't remember that the house was spotless but they will remember that mama was too busy to have a waterfight in the backyard. I am still trying to get my head around it...balance, being responsible and diligent and letting go and just being now and then.

4 comments:

skatey katie said...

*just being*
yes, you are right, mommying-success is immeasurable.
but *a child on each knee and one draped around your neck* sounds like the stuff memories are made of.
you are doing SO WELL babe, birthing these babies, feeding these babies, loving these babies.
the time right now is very intense, the days are short and long in all the wrong places...
thanks for sharing, thanks for the authenticity.
pikelets. fabulous.

oacemama said...

Thanks for the encouragement...After months I'm back baby!!!

Brock said...

Just reading this makes me want to have kids, and im only 17. Thats allmost scary :).

I remember having 'Where the wild things are' read to me as a kid. Good memories.

oacemama said...

Hey Brock, just checked out your blog...Keep Writing ...and get rid of the hash and the thirteen year old party people ;)