Saturday, January 12, 2008

Nature's Bounty




Waaay back in October the kids germinated two bean seeds each on the windowsill. We planted them out into a bean den, and watched and waited for the first shoots to appear, then almost overnight we were surrounded by Beanstalks reaching up into the clouds.
Fe-fi-fo-fum!


One of the benefits of getting the kids growing their own veges is they seem much more inclined to eat them. Every couple of days we harvest a pile of huge, yet surprisingly tender beans. They are gobbled up still warm off the vine...and I have to hide the rest or they all disappear before I can get them into a pot for dinner.


Since we are moving in a few weeks to our new, own home where I can plan a lovely big square foot garden...I have begun to harvest the potatoes while they are small, new and tender. I have never bothered with potatoes before cos they are relatively inexpensive, but there is something very satisfying in digging for spuds...I will defintely make a potato plot a feature in future gardens!

I LOVE the rainbow swiss chard (sounds so much more gourmet than silverbeet eh?) and am harvesting the last of a huge crop that grew surprisingly well from a pack of half dead neglected seedlings. I plan to make this a part of my decorative mixed garden at our new home. It is just so pretty with the red and orange stems.

7 comments:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

well done and yummy

jen

Setiuz Mama said...

Well done!! Your little makeshift garden has rewarded your effort. Scrummy food!
NEW HOUSE?!?!?! Oh my gosh now I SO know I haven't talked for you for too long. Expect a phone call on Monday!

Sharonnz said...

Your own home? Awesome guys!! Email me a link if you have one. Very exciting...especially about the garden.

skatey katie said...

so...
Since we are moving in a few weeks to our new, own home where I can plan a lovely big square foot garden...

*this* is all we get???
ack!!

can't wait to see pix, hear details, see packed-up-boxes....
how very exciting!!!!!
PS love your produce, i have a billion potato flowers waving in the breeze over here too...

LeighLeigh said...

I couldn't agree more about the own garden thing - we decided to plant peas (Emily was interested in what a pea in a pod was, since everyone says her and her dad are like "peas in a pod") and now they are blooming - infact I am making a bacon and pea risotto tonight - but the girls will just sit out in the garden and eat peas - they both love them!

Mike said...

My 4-year old and I grew carrots last year. We used all the seeds in the packet. Only one grew--about 2 inches tall, give or take 2 inches.

Green thumb? Sore thumb, that's what we are.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

http://www.mikeleonen.com/

Sandra said...

I agree about rainbow swiss chard sounding so much more alluring than silverbeet.

Congratulations on your new home. Good luck for the move.